The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is an independent humanitarian organisation helping people forced to flee.
We work in crises across 31 countries, providing emergencies and long-term assistance to millions of people every year. We stand up for people forced to flee, advocating their rights.
NORCAP, our global provider of expertise, helps improve international and local ability to prevent, prepare for, respond to and recover from crises.
NRC also runs the Internal Displacement Monitoring Centre in Geneva, a global leader in reporting on and advocating for people displaced within their own country.
The Advocacy Technical officer is responsible for monitoring and analysis of the key protection concerns of the conflict-affected and displaced populations in Ukraine, conducting legal and policy research, contributing to the development and implementation of NRC Ukraine’s advocacy response and coordination with relevant stakeholders.
- Ensure compliance with NRC policies, guidelines and standards
- Ensure compliance with Advocacy strategy and Action plan, tools, handbooks, guidelines and standards
- Advocacy specific technical responsibility for the implementation, quality control, monitoring, project documentation and tracking of financial expenditures for technical activities
- Provide specific technical support and capacity building towards project staff
- Provide specific technical analysis and feedback to NRC representatives in coordination forums
- Assess, promote and document ideas for technical improvement and further program development options
- Ensure that projects target beneficiaries most in need, and explore and assess new and better ways to assist
- Ensure proper filing of documents
- Contribute to specific protection risks and needs analyses
- Contribute to designing protection response to identified risks and needs.
- Monitor and provide analysis of key legal concerns of conflict-affected persons in Eastern Ukraine IDPs (including access to services, pensions, freedom of movement, housing, land and property rights, access to civil documentation, durable solutions, access to WASH)
- Facilitate identifying and coordinating NRC Advocacy response to prioritized issues
- Conduct legal & policy research and analysis
- Draft NRC Advocacy products such as briefing notes, position papers, talking points and reports
- Facilitate planning and implementation of NRC Advocacy and communication activities and the production of relevant material
- Assist in strengthening NRC Advocacy strategic networks and alliances, with a particular focus on IDP inclusion and durable solutions
- Compile narrative and statistical reports in the respective formats
- Participate in the meetings with key stakeholders
- Perform any other tasks as requested by Advocacy Manager
Generic professional competencies:
- Experience from working on similar positions in a humanitarian/recovery context
- Previous experience from working in complex and volatile contexts
- Documented results related to the position’s responsibilities
- Good knowledge of English, both written and verbal
Context/ Specific skills, knowledge and experience:
- High education in law or policy (academic background in international humanitarian/human rights/forced migration law and policy would be an asset)
- Good knowledge of the context in eastern Ukraine (in particular, issues related to access to services, pensions, freedom of movement, housing, land and property rights, access to civil documentation, durable solutions, access WASH)
- Good knowledge of the concepts related to protection, internal displacement, durable solutions and related issues (tailored practical and/or research experience on the topics related to internal displacement and durable solutions would be an asset)
- Experience in advocacy, public or private
- Understanding of the current Ukrainian context and policy-making process
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal
- Strong research and analytical skills
- Fluency in Ukrainian, Russian, English, both written and verbal
- Good knowledge of the software programs (MS Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint; digital design skills to develop layouts would be an asset)
- Handling insecure environments
- Working with people
- Coping with change
- Planning and delivering results
- Communicating with impact and respect
- Type of contract: local employment contract till 31.12.2021, with the possibility of extension.
- Salary/benefits: According to NRC salary scale, terms and conditions.
- Duty station: Kyiv, Ukraine.
Please note that we will contact only shortlisted candidates.
NRC retains the discretion to cancel the recruitment.
- To apply please follow this link https://vacanciesinukraine.com/jobs
- To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your cover letter how (vacanciesinukraine.com) you have heard about this position.