The Danish Demining Group (DDG) is growing! We are currently looking to fill Operations Manager (OM) and Technical Field Managers (TFM) positions in a number of countries in our global operations. DDG is a specialized unit within the Danish Refugee Council and is one of the only international NGO’s which offers integrated programming in mine action, armed violence reduction, protection, livelihoods and emergency response.
About the job
Your main duties and responsibilities will be:
- Daily management and supervision of operational activities, including planning, monitoring and evaluation of all mine action activities including:
- Leading the Operations Team in the planning and tasking of operational assets
- Ensuring the correct and appropriate deployment of operational assets
- Monitoring the procedures and quality assurance of operations
- Mentor, manage, monitor and supervise mine action staff ensuring that they carry out their duties in a responsible manner in accordance with SOPs and their job description;
- Ensure that priorities set by the DDG programme and the national authorities are met and the requirements of the donors and beneficiaries are taken into consideration;
- Monitor and analyse productivity and report back with recommendations for improvement;
- Deliver and monitor where applicable training to build capacity within the national staff in consultation with the DDG Head of Program;
- Internal quality assurance of clearance, EOD, NTS, and MRE teams and providing corrective action where necessary;
- Implement safety and security measures in accordance with the safety and security plan under the direction of the DDG Head of Program;
- Support capacity building of national or local NGO partners through training and mentoring.
To be successful in this role we expect you to have a strong background in project management and strategic planning. Operations Managers and Technical Field Managers have the primary function of providing technical advice to the staff under their responsibility. Your role is to develop staff capacity, in particular from a strategic point of view focusing on planning, operational statistics, information management, and innovative approaches.
All employees should master DRC’s core competencies: Communicating, Taking the lead, Collaborating, Striving for excellence and Demonstrating integrity.
Moreover, we also expect the following:
- Relevant university or vocational higher education (management, military officers’ school, etc.)
- A minimum of 5 years documented professional international technical experience in humanitarian mine action operations
- A minimum of Explosive Ordnance Disposal (EOD) level 3
- Proven understanding of IMAS, NMAS, SOPs and land release principles
- Hands on experience with survey, manual clearance, EOD, BAC, mechanical clearance
- Excellent command of project management activities, with proven record of achievements
- Good computer skills including proficiency in using Excel, Word, Access, Google Earth, and GIS
- Strong administrative and organizational ability
- Excellent management and personnel skills – a calm and diplomatic disposition will be preferred
- Ability and flexibility to understand the cultural and political environment and to work well with the local authorities
- Willingness to live and work in remote and isolated area under basic conditions
- Fluency in spoken and written English; second languages are an advantage in particular French and Spanish
- Track record of establishing and maintaining effective professional relations with relevant stakeholders, in particular mine action authorities as well as national and international mine action implementing partners;
- Good knowledge of UN International Ammunition Technical Guidelines;
- Hands on experience with survey and clearance of Improvised Explosive Devices;
- First Aid training and knowledge of medical response requirements in mine action.
Contract length: 1 year, with possibility of extension.
Level: Salary will be commensurate with experience and level of responsibility. DDG’s salary scale includes a Base Salary and an Explosives Allowance and comprehensive insurance. Depending on the duty station, there will be eligibility for an additional Location Allowance, per diem and regular Rest & Recuperation benefits.
Annual home leave and pension are included after one year.
Designation of Duty Station: Various – Currently we are looking at filling positions in Afghanistan, Iraq, Libya, Syria, Ukraine, South Sudan, Yemen.
Start date: As soon as possible
Salary and conditions will be in accordance with Danish Refugee Council’s Terms of Employment for Expatriates; please refer to drc.ngo under Vacancies. For questions regarding the vacancy please contact Fatmire Uka f[email protected].
- To apply please follow this link https://vacanciesinukraine.com/jobs
- To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your cover letter where (vacanciesinukraine.com) you saw this job posting.
All applicants must send a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages) in English, through the DRC HR Manager system. PLEASE NOTE THAT APPLICATIONS SENT BY EMAIL TO DRC/DDG STAFF WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED.
Closing date for applications: 30 April 2021.
Please note that:
- DDG reserves the right to recruit one or more qualified candidates, should one be identified before this closing date.
- Applications for this general call are not responded to unless we see a match between your profile and a specific vacancy.
DRC as an employer
By working in DRC, you will be joining a global workforce of around 8000 employees in 40 countries. We pride ourselves on our:
- Professionalism, impact & expertise
- Humanitarian approach & the work we do
- Purpose, meaningfulness & own contribution
- Culture, values & strong leadership
- Fair compensation & continuous development
DRC’s capacity to ensure the protection of and assistance to refugees, IDP’s and other persons of concern depends on the ability of our staff to uphold and promote the highest standards of ethical and professional conduct in relation DRC’s values and Code of Conduct, including safeguarding against sexual exploitation, abuse and harassment. DRC conducts thorough and comprehensive background checks as part of the recruitment process.
If you have questions or are facing problems with the online application process, please visit drc.ngo/about-us/job-and-career/support-for-job-seekers.