The Danish Refugee Council and the Danish Demining Group (DRC-DDG), one of the world’s leading humanitarian NGOs, is currently seeking a highly qualified and motivated DDG HMA Advisor – Quality Management and Training Specialist (QM and Training Specialist) for its growing Humanitarian Mine Action portfolio in Ukraine. We appreciate devotion and team building, and we welcome you to join our efforts in building capacities that will support human security and peace building.
About the job
As the QM and Training Specialist, your primary function will be to manage all programmatic quality issues and ensure all technical/HMA assets are trained to a high standard. DRC-DDG will rely on your ideas and technical input to revisions of National Mine Action Standards and HMA legislation in country. You will coordinate closely with other stakeholders for capacity building of national authorities and coordinate the training needs. As well, as the Training Specialist, you will develop Training Management Plans and act as the prime trainer for DRC-DDG.
The QM and Training Specialist will be based in Severodonetsk, Eastern Ukraine and travels mainly to areas where DRC-DDG demining & BAC teams operate, to the national training centers and to Kyiv where DRC-DDG headquarters is located. As QM and Training Specialist, you will plan your activities closely with the Operations Manager based in Severodonetsk and Head of Mission based in Kyiv. You directly report to Operations Manager and keep a technical line with to DDG’s Global Senior Technical Advisor and Medical Global Advisor.
The QM and Training Specialist does not keep any line management role but you work very closely with other Technical Advisors, national Demining Supervisors, Officers and other demining team members.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Develop, implement, amend and revise country-specific Standard Operations Procedures (SOPs) for all DDG activities in accordance with DDG Generic Operations Procedures, (GOP) Ukrainian National Standards and IMAS
- Develop Training Management Plans (TMP) and directly conduct and oversee training courses for all HMA activities. (Includes NTS, manual, mechanical demining, and BAC)
- Design and implement an Internal Quality Management structure that ensures all DDG assets surpass National Standards with a view to encouraging a ‘continual improvement’ attitude within the organisation
- Recruit, train, command and capacity develop an Internal QA/QC team that will be able to conduct QA/QC activities with minimum supervision within a 12month timeframe (subject to available funding)
- Ensure compliance with medical support SOPs, and ensure a proper level of medical training for all staff according to DDG Medical SOP and TMP
- Weekly reporting on all QA/QC activities, reporting any positive/negative trends and recommendations for improvement
- Review all HMA reports, such as progress, NTS, suspension and task handover reports
- Compile and maintain DRC-DDG Free From Explosive (FFE) items register and certification
- Support the process of official accreditation and licensing of DDG in Ukraine, according to newly-released legislative requirements
- Assist the programme for revision of NMAS in Ukraine as a part of the Working Group under Mine Action Sub-cluster
- Other relevant tasks as assigned by the DDG Operations Manager
The Quality Management & Training Specialist will report direct to the DDG Operations Manager – Ukraine
- A minimum of 10 years of relevant working experience at international level with a minimum 5 years experience working with humanitarian international NGOs or similar international body, within the Mine Action sector is required
- Hands-on experience of training, supervising and deploying manual demining & BAC teams is required
- Extensive experience in HMA Quality Management is required
- Knowledge of and practical experience with a range of hand-held detectors, such as the Minelab F3, Ebinger UPEX 740M, CEIA CMD, Vallon VMR3 / VMC, for the purposes of manual demining is essential
- Minimum of IMAS EOD Level III certification, or equivalent from an Internationally recognised technical school (Military or Civilian) is required with proven experience to support level of EOD III
- Proven experience in drafting SOPs is required
- Proven experience in designing and delivering technical training is required
- International Certification/Qualifications in Quality Management highly desirable
- Fluency in written and spoken English with excellent writing skills required
- A high degree of computer literacy in all MS Office programs is required
- Work experience in programme management, including representation, technical supervision of staff, monitoring and evaluation is highly desirable
- Knowledge of advanced trauma care is highly desirable
- Ukrainian and/or Russian language skills are highly desirable
- Work experience from within the region (Eastern Europe) is desirable
- International Driving license (manual gearbox) required
- Capacity to work independently
- Courage and integrity
- A positive and problem-solving attitude and ability to get things done in spite of a challenging political and insecure environment
- Innovative and creative thinking with strong analytical and reporting skills
- Political and cultural sensitivity, as well as a diplomatic, tactful, and flexible interpersonal style
- Ability to exude calmness and patience in high stress situations
- Proven ability to function well in a potentially volatile and sometimes stressful environment
- A strong team player with a willingness to assume Technical Advisor and/or Operations Manager position short term in times of Expatriate Staff leave periods
- Medically and physically fit for duty in austere environments
Duty station: Severodonetsk, with regular travel to other regions. The position is unaccompanied and the candidate must be prepared to live and work in an isolated environment for longer periods of time with limited recreational and social facilities. Simple accommodation is provided for the duration of the contract.
Contract: 1st Jan 2021 until 31st Dec 2021, with possibility of an extension, depending on funding and performance.
Salary at Band G non-management and conditions in accordance with Danish Refugee Council’s Terms of Employment for Expatriates; please refer to www.drc.dk under Vacancies.
Female candidates strongly encouraged to apply.
Start date: 1st Jan 2021
For information about our work and organisation, please visit our website http://www.danishdemininggroup.dk/ and http://www.drc.dk/.
- To apply please follow this link https://vacanciesinukraine.com/jobs
- To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your cover letter where (vacanciesinukraine.com) you saw this job posting.
Only motivated applications that address the stipulated duties and meet the required qualifications sent together with a CV and cover letter, in English will be considered.
Do not apply if you do not have the necessary experience and qualifications.
All qualifications/certification submitted will be screened.
IMPORTANT: We only accept applications sent via our on-line system at www.drc.dk under Vacancies.
Please remember to upload a letter of application and your CV. CV-only applications will not be considered.
APPLICATIONS SENT DIRECTLY BY EMAIL WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED.
Applications are to be sent to no later than 2200hours (GMT) 20th December 2020.
Due to the urgency of filling this position DRC-DDG may conduct interviews prior to the closing date and reserves the right to employ any selected candidate with immediate effect.
DRC as an employer
By working in DRC, you will be joining a global workforce of around 8000 employees in 40 countries. We pride ourselves on our:
- Professionalism, impact & expertise
- Humanitarian approach & the work we do
- Purpose, meaningfulness & own contribution
- Culture, values & strong leadership
- Fair compensation & continuous development
DRC’s capacity to ensure the protection of and assistance to refugees, IDP’s and other persons of concern depends on the ability of our staff to uphold and promote the highest standards of ethical and professional conduct in relation DRC’s values and Code of Conduct, including safeguarding against sexual exploitation, abuse and harassment. DRC conducts thorough and comprehensive background checks as part of the recruitment process.
If you have questions or are facing problems with the online application process, please visit drc.ngo/about-us/job-and-career/support-for-job-seekers.