TERMS OF REFERENCE
|Title of Position:
Duration of appointment:
Estimated Start Date:
|Environmental and Social Management Consultant Emergency and Stabilization Unit (E&S), IOM Ukraine
As soon as possible
Nature of the Consultancy:
Note: This is an initial contract of 90 days for 2020. It is anticipated that there will be a follow-up engagement of the consultant in 2021 and 2022 or at hoc engagements.
Consultancy services on environmental and social safeguards are required for 5-year IOM Ukraine’s Housing Project, which aims to provision of affordable housing units for internally displaced people in conflict-affected areas of eastern Ukraine.
The Consultant will perform consultancy services for the Housing project and will create guidance and policies on environmental and social management including clear labour standards for the employed staff of implementers, grievance mechanism, ensuring compliance in the contracting documents with procured implementers and partners to the Housing Project, other stakeholders, as well as coordination of technical decisions of the project implementation, contributing to its design in the fields. The Consultant is to produce the package of training materials on ESM and deliver the trainings for the project staff of the IOM and for the implementers and partners to the Housing Project as mentioned above. World Bank environmental and social standards are the guiding principles to follow. It is expected that the Consultant will work with the project team through the first year of project implementation, will perform several trips to eastern Ukraine (sites of project implementation are Kramatorsk and Severodonetsk, eastern Ukraine). Depending on the quality of deliverables and willingness of the Consultant for further cooperation, there is an opportunity to continue the cooperation with the project through another 3 years, performing supervision/quality control functions on the ESMP implementation.
- To establish the framework of environmental and social safeguards for the Housing Project based on World Bank standards (1 year of initial contract).
- To do monitoring of performance of ESM by the project staff, implementers, partners to the project (2nd-4th years of project implementation, subject of separate/additional contract).
Project to which the Consultancy will contribute: 60-month project ‘Improving Living Conditions of Internally Displaced People in Eastern Ukraine’, which foresees acquiring and construction of tangible number of housing units in two selected towns in eastern Ukraine, establishment and run of the management entities, designed for this project in cooperation with local and central government of Ukraine.
Tasks to be performed:
- First year of Project implementation:
- The ESM Consultant is to prepare the Construction Environmental and Social Management Plan (ESMP), accompanied by Annex A – Code of Conduct; Annex B – ESMP Monitoring; Annex C – Grievance Mechanism; Annex D -Incident Reporting; Annex E – Land Acquisition and Compensation; Annex F – Medical Waste Management Plan.
- On his/her sole responsibility carry out a desk review and baseline analysis of environmental and social issues related to the Housing Project implementation, come up with community liaising and grievance mechanism to serve as the guidance for the project team and beyond throughout the term of project implementation. Legal and engineer specialists provide support on their areas of expertise. ESMP Consultant is responsible for ensuring compliance with all relevant national legislation, as well as with the environmental controls and mitigation measures.
- Lead on monitoring the performance of contractors and sub-contractors used for providing workforce, supplies and services.
- Training material’s elaboration and trainings deliver to management bodies in the project (MMBs) construction workers to raise awareness in the fields of environmental and social issues (with obligatory induction training inclusive).
- Leads on the development and implementation of the grievance mechanisms and other documents deemed necessary for the Project implementation. Training for the staff (helpdesk) on the matters.
- Liaising with local community about the project to be implemented and its potential implications for the community as whole; awareness raising on grievance mechanism within the community.
- Support the Housing Programme Coordinator, coordinate with National Housing Project Officer in the overall planning, implementation and monitoring of housing solutions efforts.
- Review and assess the technical and engineering components of IOM-KfW Housing Project and advising IOM on the technical applicability based on international, inter alia EU regulations.
- Participate in meetings, sittings of supervisory boards, site visits as necessary.
- Supervise information gathering and management support on ESMP-related issues to Housing project and other IOM programming.
- Track relevant international, national and local developments pertaining to Housing Project, and analyse, summarize and present findings.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Based on the performance and willingness of the Consultant to continue the cooperation with the IOM, it is foreseen the second part (legally framed as Addendum to the Contract):
- Second-fourth years of project implementation:
- Undertake regular quality control monitoring on ESMP implementation.
- Provide the feasibility study and issue regular reports.
Tangible and measurable output of the work assignment (90 days):
A.Develop the project social and environmental safeguards guidelines, SOPs, forms and train relevant staff;
B.Develop ESM SOPs;
C.Develop related staff trainings;
D.Conduct one staff training.
Realistic delivery dates and details as to how the work must be delivered:
The international consultant will work independently, at the same time gaining the support from the Housing Project staff as necessary.
(S)he will be responsible to inform the Housing Project Coordinator on the work progress on regular basis as necessary.
Performance indicators for evaluation of results (value of services rendered in relation to their cost):
90-Days initial contract contract:
- Social and Environmental Management Plan developed (40%)
- SOPs developed (30%)
- Training curriculum and materials developed (15%)
- Staff trained (15%)
Qualifications and Experience:
- Master’s Degree in Environmental Science, Public Administration, Economics or related field from an accredited academic institution and at least 7 years of professional work experience
- Bachelor’s degree with 10 years of professional work experience.
- Project Management certification is desirable (for example PRINCE2® Foundation)
- Managerial experience;
- Proven experience as ESM Consultant;
- Reports drafting, writing, and reporting skills, confident user of the Microsoft Office Suite;
- Experience working with IOM or other UN Agency;
- Knowledge of housing sector and context is advantageous;
- Experience in working in Ukraine is a plus.
Fluency in English is required. Knowledge of Ukrainian and /or Russian considered a plus.
How to apply:
- Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications (CV and cover letter) to [email protected] by 10 July 2020 at the latest, referring to this advertisement in the subject line of your message.
- Please indicate in your e-mail where you saw this job posting.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
From 26.06.2020 to 10.07.2020