DAI is a global development company with corporate offices in the United States, the United Kingdom, EU, Nigeria, Pakistan, and Palestine and project operations worldwide. We tackle fundamental social and economic development problems caused by inefficient markets, ineffective governance, and instability. DAI works on the frontlines of global development. Transforming ideas into action—action into impact. We are committed to shaping a more livable world. DAI and its employees are committed to confronting racism and holding ourselves accountable for positive change within the company and in the communities, cultures, and countries in which we live and work. DAI is committed to attracting and retaining the best employees from all races and backgrounds in our continued effort to become a better development partner. DAI upholds the highest ethical standards. We are committed to the prevention of sexual exploitation, abuse, and harassment as well as other ethical breaches. All of our positions are therefore subject to stringent vetting and reference checks.
DAI is seeking qualified candidates for the Kyiv-based Legal and Policy Advisor position on its newly awarded USAID Governance and Local Accountability (HOVERLA) Activity.
- Project Background:
The purpose of the HOVERLA activity is to facilitate the creation of Ukrainian local governance systems and processes that are more self-reliant, accountable to citizens, inclusive and able to provide services. The Activity has three objectives:
Objective 1: Ukraine’s system of local self-governance is increasingly institutionalized and effective
Objective 2: More self-reliant subnational governance
Objective 3: Citizens play an increasingly influential role in local governance processes
- Roles Purpose:
The Legal and Policy Advisor will identify, draft and/or revise government policies, laws and regulations related to decentralization promotion and implementation in Ukraine. S/he will be responsible for the overall management of activities for the improvement of policy and legal reform in accordance with HOVERLA’s approved work plan and schedule of deliverables. S/he will work closely with the Chief of Party.
- Objectives and Duties:
The Legal and Policy Advisor will be responsible for, but not limited to, the following detailed tasks:
- Analyze and identify the key policies, laws and regulations at the national and provincial levels that require reform and/or drafting and passage in order to promote decentralization and implementation.
- Work with the public sector, including with policymakers and lawmakers, to manage targeted public sector dialogue and consultations on policy and legal reform.
- Propose revisions to legislation
- Lead discussion groups with different agencies to review legislation
- Draft Legislative explanatory notes as needed
- When necessary draft scopes of work for external legal support (e.g. drafting law, trainings, etc.) and provide technical oversight
- Provide technical assistance to government institutions and staff on policy analysis, development and implementation, strategic planning, training and capacity development, engagement with civil society and media, etc.
- Assist with drafting talking points for use by counterparts and partners
- Assist in developing public engagement mechanisms for legislative review
- Assess the current state of parliament and keep a current calendar of legislation under review
- Maintain a close working relationship with the parliamentary committees addressing decentralization
- Coordinate on-demand information for USAID or other stakeholders.
- Represent Ukraine HOVERLA at large scale events and meetings as required.
- At least 10 years of experience in finance or business law, preferably working with the public sector
- Juris Doctor or Master’s degree or higher in Law, Public Policy, or Business
- Experience advising government entities in the formulation and implementation of policy, regulatory, and legal reform.
- Proven leadership and management experience implementing successful reform programs or efforts that include policy and legal reforms
- Knowledge and understanding of federal and provincial economic policies, laws and regulations.
- Knowledge and prior experience of USAID or other donor agency or international organization operations, programming, and structure a plus.
- Proficiency in English required.
- Base of Operations
- Kyiv, Ukraine
- The Legal and Policy Advisor will report to the Objective 1 Lead.
Interested candidates should submit their application through the following portal:
The deadline for applications is May 21, 2021.
- To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your cover letter how (vacanciesinukraine.com) you heard about this position.