TERMS OF REFERENCES
Type of assignment:
Title of Position:
|EUBAM HQ, Odesa, UkraineService Contract (SC)
SC, 15 January – 30 November 2021
Media and Communications Specialist
Media and Communication Office
Media and Communication Officer
General Functions: Under the guidance and direct supervision of the Media and Communication Officer and overall supervision of the Head of Mission the incumbent contributes to improvement of the visibility and assists in smooth operations of communication functions of the European Union Border Assistance Mission to Moldova and Ukraine (EUBAM). The incumbent works in close collaboration with the National Finance Officer, National Administrative/Human Resources Officer and National Procurement and Logistics Officer of the EUBAM Administration for effective achievement of results, anticipating and contributing to resolving complex programme/project-related issues and information delivery. The incumbent is expected to exercise full compliance with IOM programming, financial, procurement and administrative rules, regulations, policies, and strategies, as well as implementation of the effective internal control systems.
- Develop and implement Public Relations plans for ensuring the implementation of the EUBAM’s External Communication Strategy and its Annual Communication Plan.
- Identify subjects/stories of interest pertaining to EUBAM efforts at the country or regional level and develop communications products such as feature stories, press releases and social media posts.
- Contribute to maintenance and content generation for the Mission’s website and social media platforms.
- Create and oversee the design and procurement stage of visibility and promotional items production. Commission and supervise the production state of visual products such as photographs, videos, press backdrops, roll up stands, posters, while strictly observing IOM financial and procurement rules.
- Conceptualize a set of engaging materials for promoting EUBAM’s achievements, including audio-visual, photographic and printed materials.
- Maintain regular contacts with PR officers of partner organization, media, governmental and non-governmental institutions, local authorities, NGOs, academia, etc. as appropriate. Maintain an up to date database of partners, journalists and media organizations and academia.
- Respond to media and public enquiries, prepare briefing dossiers, and liaise with the press/media to advocate and disseminate information on EUBAM’s work and organize press coverage for EUBAM’s activities.
- Write, edit, re-write, and commission information/stories including those submitted by field staff and others for dissemination by EUBAM/IOM channels to general audiences. Ensure high standards of accuracy and editorial content in all external outputs.
- Monitor national and appropriate international media and compile material for the daily media review. Stay abreast of the key development in the political, security, economic and social spheres which may impact the work of the Mission.
- Facilitate events such as receptions, open days and other outreach events and participate in appropriate third-party events to represent the Mission. Support and/or arrange visits to HQ and other Mission locations for the media, key international actors, or other visitors as appropriate.
- Proactively liaise with other EUBAM units as regards meetings or events that are newsworthy or that need support from the Media and Communication Office.
- Provide informal translation and interpretation to/from English/Ukrainian/Russian for the Media and Communication Office as required.
- Ensure due care of premises, equipment, vehicles (including their spare parts, consumables, keys etc.), supplies and other property that is entrusted to him/her.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
- Advanced university degree in in journalism, public relations, communications, or other related fields;
- Six years of progressive experience in journalism, public relations, or communications;
- Previous working experience in an international organization, donor organization, consulting company or NGO is an advantage;
- Practical knowledge of data visualization techniques;
- Practical knowledge of formulating and implementing a communication plan;
- Demonstrated ability to use graphic design and video/photo editing software packages and manage social media accounts;
- Demonstrated ability to carry out press and information projects such as publication, editing and organization of events;
- Knowledge of the European Union – Republic of Moldova – Ukraine relations is an advantage;
- Comprehensive understanding of local/regional communications in terms of media relations, networking with governments and other institutions including international organisations, non-governmental organisations, civil society, and the private sector;
- Good analytical skills, ability to interpret information, identify and analyse problems, ability to evaluate concepts and procedures;
- Sound background in the design and procurement stage of visibility and promotional items production;
- Fluency in both oral and written English, Ukrainian and Russian languages is a must;
- Computer literacy (MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.);
- Ability to work with people of different nationalities, religions, and cultural backgrounds;
- Demonstrated gender awareness and sensitivity, and ability to integrate a gender perspective into tasks and activities.
Appointment is subject to budget availability and funding confirmation.
- Email your IOM Personal History form (http://eubam.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/Personal-History-Form.xls) and cover letter in English to the following email address [email protected]
- Please, indicate the position you are applying for in the subject line of your message.
- To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your email & cover letter where (vacanciesinukraine.com) you saw this job posting.
Closing date for applications is 10 January 2021; however, interested candidates are strongly encouraged to apply sooner.
Only pre-selected candidates will be contacted for the interview.