|Classification||:||General Service Staff, Grade G4|
|Type of Appointment||:||Fixed-term, one year with possibility of extension|
|Estimated Start Date||:||As soon as possible|
Since the inception of IOM in 1951, Movement Operations have been and continue to be a fundamental pillar of the Organization’s work. The organized movement of persons in need of international migration assistance is a primary mandate of the Organization and a cornerstone of IOM’s operations. This mandate has resulted in the international transport of more than 15 million migrants and refugees worldwide. Movement Operations departments in various IOM missions, coordinated under the division of Resettlement and Movement Management (RMM) in the Department of Operations and Emergencies (DOE) at IOM’s Geneva Headquarters, are responsible for all aspects of travel for migrants and refugees under IOM’s auspices, in accordance with the various framework agreements with resettlement and receiving Governments and partners across the spectrum of the Organization’s programmes.
Under the general supervision of the Movement Operations Officer and the direct supervision of Operations Coordinator, the Operations Assistant (Field Support) is responsible for undertaking movement operations activities in the field, with the following duties and responsibilities:
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Undertake field support activities in an assigned area or areas, such as at an airport, transit center, third-party facility, camp-based operation or sub-office, or in relation to transportation.
- Perform airport services, such as providing custodial care of travel documentation; verifying identities and documentation, including exit permissions, visas, tickets and other items in the travel bag; assisting with airport formalities, including flight arrivals, curb-side assistance, check-in, luggage formalities, immigration procedures, security screening systems and customs clearance; escorting arriving individuals to ground transportation and departing individuals to their gates; visually confirming flights have departed; ensuring individuals with special needs or equipment receive appropriate support; and, as needed, sending notifications using relevant systems.
- Assist individuals at transit centers or third-party facilities, including upon arrival with sign-in, verification of identity, orientation, food and non-food items and room assignments; during their stay with food and non-food items, instructions, briefings, activities and resolution of issues; and upon departure for medical appointments, return travel or onward travel with briefings, luggage support and transition to transportation. Enter and update relevant data in the appropriate systems and ensure vulnerable individuals are assisted in a manner that ensures their safety, security and comfort; report all issues immediately to the appropriate supervisor(s).
- Provide regular feedback on work being accomplished to the Operations Coordinator and/or supervisors and team members and keep supervisors immediately informed of any issues requiring their attention.
- Provide assistance at transit centers and third-party facilities for extended periods of up to 12 hours and during overnight periods, ensuring the needs of individuals are met throughout their stay. Communicate promptly with third-party facility representatives and/or supervisors if issues arise.
- Assist in the coordination of transportation from consolidation points, transit centers and third-party facilities, including liaising with service providers, ensuring the identity verification, readiness and organization of individuals being transported, and providing relevant briefings. Assist with baggage sorting, tagging and handling and escort individuals on transportation as needed. Ensure individuals with special needs are provided with appropriate services and report any issues to supervisors immediately.
- Provide selection mission support, exit permit support and/or interpretation services for individuals at the airport, in transit centers, camps, consolidation points and third-party facilities or during transport by air, ground or water.
- Maintain and ensure the confidentiality and integrity of all relevant paperwork in line with standards of conduct and data protection rules. Alert the Operations Coordinator or management of any non-compliance to SOPs or codes of conduct by IOM staff members or partners.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- High school degree or equivalent with 4 years of professional work experience.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent from an accredited academic institution with two years of professional work experience.
- Prior Movement Operations or transportation experience is a strong advantage.
- Valid driving license and at least three years of driving experience.
- Good knowledge of Word, Excel and the internet.
Fluency in English, Ukrainian and Russian is required.
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment and security clearances.
A prerequisite for taking up the position is legal residency in the country of the duty station and work permit, as applicable.
How to apply:
- Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications on IOM Personal History Form (http://iom.org.ua/en/personal_history or iom.org.ua/sites/default/files/personal_history_form_2016.xls) to [email protected] by 12 May 2021 at the latest, referring to this advertisement in the subject line of your message.
- Please indicate in your email where you saw this job posting.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.