We are looking for qualified professionals for U-LEAD with Europe | Ukraine – Local Empowerment, Accountability and Development Programme to fill the position of Policy Adviser (Municipal Finance and Management) for Luhansk Regional Office in Severodonetsk.
In the last few years, Ukraine has developed and adopted various laws in favour of an ambitious reforms, which reshapes the relations between the national, regional and local levels and builds institutional capacity. The success of the decentralisation greatly depends on the coordination and cooperation between the different stakeholders involved into reform implementation at the national, regional and local levels. Given the important new tasks, responsibilities and financial resources that local self-governments have gained, the implementation of the reform must be accompanied by expert advice, trainings and diverse support measures. U-LEAD (Ukraine- Local Empowerment, Accountability and Development) is a special measure which is conducted as a multi-donor action by the EU and its member states Germany, Estonia, Sweden, Denmark and Poland to support the Ukrainian government in the implementation of the decentralisation reform.
For our regional team in Luhansk oblast we are looking for an experienced and highly motivated policy adviser with an innovative mind-set, a strong team player with solid knowledge of decentralisation and legal aspects of local self-government with the practical experience of supporting hromadas in the course of decentralisation reform implementation.
Areas of responsibility
- Providing capacity development and consultative support to hromadas of Luhansk oblast in the field of municipal finance and municipal management aimed at assisting them to efficiently perform tasks and carry out new responsibilities they acquire in the course of the reforms’ implementation.
- Contributing to policy analysis.
- Ensuring good communication and information flow with all stakeholders (political and implementation partners and within the GIZ team) and supporting them.
- Contributing to the planning, monitoring, evaluation reporting processes at U-LEAD Regional Office.
- Provides consultations, organises trainings and other capacity development events for hromadas of Luhansk oblast on municipal finance and municipal management issues, which include but are not limited to budget planning and budget execution, procurement, strategic management, management of municipal revenues including local taxes, assets and communal property (financial aspects), compliance with budget discipline and budget-related issues impacting hromadas.
- Provides to Administrative Officer responsible for the data entry into data monitoring system for all events (e.g. trainings, consultations, conferences) within his/her responsibility as well as further necessary data (e.g. trainers, good practices, support to municipalities, etc.) according to the guidelines.
- Provides consultations and advice on cross-cutting topics such as integrity and anti-corruption, while applying a gender-sensitive approach.
- Coordinates the organisation of trainings and professional advice to hromadas with short-term experts according to GIZ values, standards and rules. Contributes to the quality assurance of the experts’ work.
- Collects and analyses hromadas’ feedback on challenges they face as well as their needs in terms of amending policy and legislation in the field of the Policy Adviser’s expertise.
- Participates and contributes to public discussions and policy dialogue events aimed at supporting reforms’ implementation, contributes to U-LEAD communication and visibility activities.
- Participates and contributes to the strategic and operational planning, monitoring and reporting of the U-LEAD Regional Office in Luhansk oblast.
- Provides short reports and pictures from the attended events on time upon request.
- Contributes to the overall knowledge and data management of the U-LEAD Regional Office in Luhansk oblast.
- Collects good practices and success stories, checks their progression over time and shares the information in the respective field for public awareness raising and communication purposes.
- Provides technical support to international and local experts during their field.
- Communicates regularly with local stakeholders.
- Communicates and cooperates effectively with the colleagues in the Regional Office, the U-LEAD team and other GIZ projects in Ukraine.
- Ensures discreet behaviour vis-a-vis third parties in all internal matters.
- Communicates and reports regularly to the Head of Regional Office.
REQUIREMENTS TO THE CANDIDATES
- Bachelor’s Degree in the field of Economics, Finance, Public Administration or other relevant fields.
- Professional experience
- At least 2 years’ work experience in the finance sector and/or in public service, in local government bodies or in an NGO.
- Proven track record of active involvement in the implementation of the decentralisation reform for the period of at least one year.
Other knowledge, additional competences
- Sound knowledge of public financial management, general principles of local budgets and taxation, tools for fostering local economic development.
- Deep understanding of the specific set-up, its actors and political environment of Luhansk oblast.
- Strong organisational and planning skills.
- Team player with excellent communication skills, including public outreach.
- Strategic thinking and problem-solving abilities.
- High degree of self-organisation.
- Very good Ukrainian language skills.
- Good knowledge of English (not less than intermediate)
- Good computer skills (MS Office Suite, Excel, Powerpoint etc.).
- Availability for frequent travel within Luhansk oblast (government-controlled areas).
Full-time position with 40-hours working week. Frequent travel within the relevant oblast is required. Starting in the second half of January 2021.
GIZ is an equal opportunity employer and offers an attractive and challenging working environment with opportunities for skill enhancement.
- Application comprising of the candidate’s CV and a cover letter in the English language explaining the motivation to apply for the job is to be sent to [email protected] until 15 January, Friday
- To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your email & cover letter where (vacanciesinukraine.com) you saw this job posting.
By sending the application the candidate gives the consent for the personal data processing for recruitment processes solely.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for the next stages of the recruitment process.