The Norwegian Rule of Law Advisers Probation Project
PROBATION AND PRISON EXPERTS
ABOUT THE PROJECT
NORLAU is a Norwegian Rule of Law Advisory Team to Ukraine since 2018 operating under the supervision of the Directorate of Norwegian Correctional Service (KDI). It is a technical assistance and cooperation project funded by the Norwegian Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
An agreement is signed between the Ministry of Justice of Ukraine and Ministry of Justice and Security of the Kingdom of Norway on cooperation to support the implementation of a Full-Scale Probation Service and alternative sanctions in Ukraine.
In its work, NORLAU supports the Public Institution “Center of Probation” in Ukraine to be developed in line with international standards and best practice in the field of probation. In order to make this institution a key player in the criminal justice system, it is important to provide professional intervention throughout the whole criminal justice system.
The central office is located in Kyiv with two pilot projects in Kharkiv and Bila Tserkva. As part of the NORLAU team in the central office in Kyiv, for the project period 2020-2022, we are looking for:
PROBATION AND PRISON EXPERTS
- Two experts to be allocated at our pilot office in Bila Tserkva
- Two experts to be allocated at our pilot office in Kharkiv
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provide the Project team with knowledge of reforms in the field of criminal justice
- Assist in giving proposals and advice to Ukrainian authorities in the field of probation and prison
- Arrange and participate in training activities, seminars and conferences
- Closely cooperate and support local institutions, municipalities and NGOs in activities regarding NORLAU project goals
- In cooperation with the Project team in Kyiv, local probation and prison service and abovementioned actors develop and implement programs, strategic documents, training manuals, monitoring framework, reports and other project activities as assigned by the Project Head of Mission
- Ensure that all activities are implemented in a professional way and a timely manner
Some domestic and international travel will be required
- University Degree in Law or equivalent degree in relevant field that suits the position applied.
- Preferable at least 3 years of experience at a senior level in the field of penitentiary service – Prison and Probation.
- Preferable previous experience with international technical assistance projects.
- English – fluent in speaking, reading and writing including extensive knowledge of legal terminology.
- Ukrainian – fluent in speaking, reading and writing.
- Extensive knowledge of national and international standards and developments in the probation sector.
- Basic knowledge of international human rights standards.
- Broad knowledge of key governmental and law enforcement institutions of Ukraine.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Strong legal analytical skills as well as problem solving and planning abilities.
- Good interpersonal skills to interact effectively with NORLAU team, governmental and non-governmental institutions and international partners.
- Good judgement and organizational skills to prioritize and manage multiple projects and tasks.
- Flexibility and openness.
- Demonstrated professionalism, integrity, fairness and impartiality.
- The applicants must be the citizens of Ukraine.
Full time: Monday – Friday
Working hours: 09.00 – 16.30
Type of contract: Service Contract
Duration of contract: one year with possible prolongation
Foreseen start of work: 14.09.2020.
Competitive salary based on an agreement with the project management team.
Kharkiv pilot office / Bila Tserkva pilot office
HOW TO APPLY:
- Application must be prepared in English and sent electronically by e-mail to: [email protected] with copy to: [email protected]. In the subject line, it should be mentioned: “Application _Your First Name and Surname”
- To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your e-mail & letter of interest where (vacanciesinukraine.com) you saw this job posting.
All submissions must include:
- Applicant`s CV
- Applicant`s letter of interest
- At least two reference letters with contact information
Application deadline: 1 August 2020