|Position Title:||Program Manager|
|Reports To:||Senior Program Manager|
|Position Location:||Kyiv, Ukraine|
|Deadline: May 14, 2021|
IREX is an independent nonprofit organization dedicated to building a more just, prosperous, and inclusive world by empowering youth, cultivating leaders, strengthening institutions, and extending access to quality education and information. Founded in 1968, IREX has an annual portfolio of $90 million and a staff of over 400 professionals worldwide who implement programs and provide consulting expertise in more than 100 countries. For more detailed information about IREX please visit www.irex.org.
Summary of Position:
IREX office in Ukraine is seeking a qualified professional to fill the position of Program Manager for its project Learn to Discern for Education, Decision Makers and Journalists. Program manager will work under supervision of Senior Program Manager and will be responsible for the planning and implementation of program activities. Special focus in all activities will be related to development of the media literacy skills of local and regional government employees (policymakers, civil servants), training and promoting data-informed decision-making; and providing training to journalists to build their critical information consumption skills and to increase their ability to manage – as well as mitigate – the risks and threats they face in their day-to-day work (this will be done through adaptation of the IREX Learn to Discern and Securing Access to Free Expression (L2D/SAFE) training).
The position will be based in Kyiv with frequent travel throughout the country (depending on the severity of COVID). This position is contingent upon funding.
Specific duties include, but are not limited to the following:
- Under the supervision of Senior Program Manager, provide technical and administrative leadership for program activities under Output 2 (activities that are related to training for journalists in Ukraine to build their critical information consumption skills) and Output 3 (activities that are related to the providing media literacy training to government officials, policy and decision makers, and civil servants) and to ensure that objectives and targets are achieved;
- Oversee, monitor, and administer day to day management of the program activities;
- Supervise Program Coordinator for the L2D team;
- Manage needs assessment and adaptation of the IREX Learn to Discern and Securing Access to Free Expression (L2D/SAFE) curriculum for the Ukrainian context, emphasizing the program as supporting and empowering journalists in reporting truthfully and debunking disinformation;
- Manage needs assessment and adaption of the existing Learn to Discern for Decision-Makers curriculum for the Ukrainian contextand for different groups of trainees (policymakers, civil servants etc.);
- Manage organization of the Trainings of Trainers (ToT);
- Manage recruitment of trainees for trainings through out Ukraine for the Output 2 (journalists and journalism students, primarily from the Eastern Ukraine regions) and Output 3 (local and regional government employees);
- Lead and manage training events, workshops, conferences;
- Provide oversight on implementation of activities by program sub-grantees and subcontractors as well as for procurement of services in accordance with IREX policies;
- Work closely with the Ministry of Culture and Information Policy popularizing media literacy to general audiences as an important component in building a successful career;
- Support effective collaboration with program partners, in particular with the Academy of Ukrainian Press;
- Establish positive collaboration and interact regularly with government officials, civil society, opinion leaders, members of international community and other program stakeholders;
- Work closely with the finance and administrative staff in IREX Ukraine office to ensure budget discipline and compliance;
- Work closely with IREX M&E staff to ensure program’s reporting of outputs;
- Travel to program implementation sites to monitor implementation;
- Degree in international development, public administration, management, political science, communications and/or another relevant field is preferred;
- At least 5 years’ experience in civil-society programs;
- Background in media literacy work or study is a strong advantage;
- Experience in work with government officials, policy and decision makers is a strong advantage;
- Demonstrated success in maintaining excellent collaborations with partners organizations, and ability to establish productive relationships with government officials, opinion leaders, and citizen groups at national and local levels;
- Proven leadership in supervising, designing, managing, and implementing, monitoring and evaluation of similar programs;
- Demonstrated ability to facilitate dialogue and work constructively with a diverse range of actors and to accommodate divergent interests and agendas in a multi-cultural environment;
- Excellent communications skills, including ability to make public presentations;
- Familiarity with political, media and social issues in Ukraine;
- Excellent interpersonal and organizational skills;
- Strong command of spoken/written English and Ukrainian;
- Ukrainian citizenship or residency with work authorization is required.
- Ability to handle multiple priorities and complete tasks/projects in accordance with stated deadlines;
- Ability to frequently travel throughout Ukraine.
- Please email your cover letter and resume with “Program manager – for L2D-UK 2” in the subject line to [email protected] by 18 pm on May 14, 2021. No phone calls please. Only complete applications will be considered. Early applications are welcomed – we can contact shortlisted candidates on a rolling basis, even before the deadline.
- To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your email & cover letter where (vacanciesinukraine.com) you saw this job posting.