he National Democratic Institute for International Affairs (NDI) is a non-profit organization working to strengthen democracy worldwide. NDI programs in Ukraine are supported by the U.S. Agency for International Development, the Government of Sweden, Global Affairs Canada, the National Endowment for Democracy and the UK Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office.
NDI-Ukraine is currently seeking to hire a Program Officer or Senior Program Officer for the Parliamentary Program.
About the Parliamentary Program: With the support of U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID) and in close partnership with the European Parliament, NDI is working with the Verkhovna Rada of Ukraine to strengthen and promote cross-party cooperation, consensus building, coalition building and capacity of parliamentary factions, individual MPs and parliamentary staff.
Job Title: Parliamentary Program Officer/Senior Program Officer, Ukraine
Task and Responsibilities:
- Contribute to the implementation of NDI’s parliamentary program activities, including conferences, workshops, study visits and consultations for Members of the Parliament and parliamentary staff;
- Contribute to the development of the program’s strategic documents, such as workplans, monitoring and evaluation plans, and other reporting requirements;
- Implement specific sub-components of the program with guidance from the supervisor, by keeping track of assigned tasks, anticipating problems and taking initiative to solve them in a timely and effective manner;
- Contribute to program design, strategic and operational planning;
- In coordination with supervisor, develop and maintain relationships and communication with partners and stakeholders;
- Develop and track monthly program and activity budgets;
- Liaise with the Administration and Finance team to ensure compliance with NDI and donor policies related to financial procedures and and regulations;
- In coordination with the Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) team, facilitate data collection efforts to track the program’s progress toward achieving objectives in line with NDI’s performance monitoring framework;
- Provide guidance to junior program staff;
- Remain knowledgeable about political trends in Ukraine to support preparation of NDI’s regular reporting requirements, research reports, new updates, and other written or verbal communications;
- Monitor and report on political developments within the parliament and beyond to inform program strategy;
- As necessary, travel to areas outside Kyiv or Ukraine for program-related activities; and
- Undertake other duties as assigned by the supervisor, even outside traditional working hours as necessary.
For a senior officer level, the candidate would be expected to perform assigned tasks and responsibilities with greater autonomy, and undertake limited supervisory responsibilities for junior staff.
Qualifications and Requirements:
- Bachelor’s in Political Science, Social Sciences, Law, International Relations, Public Policy or a related field. Master’s degree preferred;
- A minimum of three years experience in a related field or in an international organization for a program officer; At least five years required for the senior program officer-level with at least one year in a position with a similar level of responsibility to those required in this job announcement;
- Strong understanding of the work of the Ukrainian Parliament. Experience with the Verkhovna Rada, other legislatures, or individual members of the parliament is strongly preferred;
- Keen interest in and good understanding of political and civic landscape, government reforms, human rights context, election process in Ukraine;
- Experience in project coordination, including support to planning, design, coordination, operations, monitoring and evaluation of activities.
- Well-developed interpersonal and networking skills, ability to build and maintain relations with different stakeholders;
- Excellent oral communication skills in Ukrainian and English with the ability to present clear and concise analysis.
- Working knowledge of Google Apps (Gmail, Calendar, Google Drive, G+, etc).
- Ability to travel within Ukraine and abroad.
Interested applicants should submit a CV and motivation letter as one PDF file in English by email to the following email address: [email protected]. Please indicate the position (Parliamentary Program Officer/Senior Program Officer) you are applying for in the subject line of the email.
- To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your email & motivation letter where (vacanciesinukraine.com) you saw this job posting.
The deadline for the submission of the required documents is by close of business on September 19, 2021. Only selected candidates will be invited for a written test and a subsequent interview.