Job no: 536061
Position type: Consultancy
Location: Ukraine Division/Equivalent: CEE/CIS
Department/Office: Kyiv, Ukraine
Categories: Health, Consultancy
UNICEF works in some of the world’s toughest places, to reach the world’s most disadvantaged children. To save their lives. To defend their rights. To help them fulfill their potential.
Across 190 countries and territories, we work for every child, everywhere, every day, to build a better world for everyone.
And we never give up.
For every child, every right
UNICEF staff & personnel are exposed to various health and security hazards that may result in disease; psychological trauma and life-threatening injuries. Since the coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak has been declared as a “public health emergency” at global and national levels, the risks for staff health increased dramatically, particularly in the conflict affected areas, where access to quality health care services is limited by protracted conflict. Dedicated, effective primary health, occupational health and emergency medical services may mitigate negative outcomes of trauma, injuries and health complications providing better chances for saving lives as well as for faster and better recovery. Therefore, Ukraine CO allocated funds to hire two Medical Contractors.
How can you make a difference?
The Medical Contractor will be the focal point for all matters relating to the health of the UNICEF staff members and making determinations as to the need for medical evacuations. The incumbent will actively participate in negotiations with suitable health care providers; will liaise with the UN designated Staff Doctor, as needed, to resolve administrative issues; will manage minor illnesses and refer employees to qualified local or foreign providers for more complex care; and provide health information and recommendation to all UNICEF Staff Members. More specifically the duties are described in the Work Assignment Overview below.
– Provide medical consultancy services to UNICEF Staff to make referrals to local hospitals, clinics or specialists and determine in emergency medical situations, based on his/her knowledge of the adequacy of locally available facilities, all medical evacuation requirements;
– Refer staff to outside specialists as necessary; follow-up with outside specialists;
– Participate in addressing work environment and occupational health issues;
– Monitor and evaluate the adequacy and standards of the medical services being provided by the local doctors within Ukraine as well as their professional competence;
– Advise and consult with the local doctors and doctors outside Ukraine regarding medical related subjects, second opinions, referrals, medical evacuation, etc.;
– Disseminate updated evidence-based medical data and information on the prevention and control of infectious diseases, immunization and other related medical subjects;
– Co-ordinate and collaborate with UN, International and Local NGOs, on matters relating to their medical programs;
– To provide technical assistance and support to responsible health line manager related to COVID-19 and other programmatic activities;
– Perform other tasks as assigned.
Report on services provided to UNICEF staff & personnel and their dependents (if applicable) on a monthly basis and certified by direct supervisor (UNICEF Health Officer).
In case of medical evacuation recommendation: a medical assessment, examination and other report documentation provided timely and in an expected quality to a designated focal point.
Terms of payment: Monthly payments upon submission of monthly report and invoice for payment.
Deadline/ Number of working days: Monthly (Full-time capacity, with the same working schedule as staff at the duty station (working five weekdays per week and following the office hours).
To qualify as an advocate for every child you will have…
1. Education: Minimum Bachelor’s degree in Medicine; Residency in one of the medical specialities, preferable general/internal medicine with good knowledge of Emergency Medicine.
2. Knowledge/Expertise/Skills required: – Registration to practice medicine in Ukraine;
– Minimum three year of progressive clinical experience in the medical field with additional knowledge of Public health and Occupational Health;
– Computer literate with practical experience with Microsoft applications;
– Experience in working with international organizations is an advantage;
– Besides professional fluency in Ukrainian and Russian, good English languages skills both written and oral are essential for this position;
– Demonstrated ability and willingness to work as a member of a team, with people of different cultural and religious backgrounds, different gender, and diverse political views, while maintaining impartiality and objectivity;
– Demonstrated gender awareness and sensitivity, as well as the ability to integrate a gender perspective into tasks and activities;
– Cultural sensitivity and judgment.
For every Child, you demonstrate…
UNICEF’s core values of Commitment, Diversity and Integrity and core competencies in Communication, Working with People and Drive for Results.
The technical competencies required for this post are….
View our competency framework at
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages all candidates, irrespective of gender, nationality, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of the organization.
Mobility is a condition of international professional employment with UNICEF and an underlying premise of the international civil service.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and advance to the next stage of the selection process.
Please indicate your preferred duty station(s) in the cover letter.
Please fill in the form properly and indicate your daily fee, travel lump sum and total fee to complete the assignment.
“UNICEF has a zero-tolerance policy on sexual exploitation and abuse, and on any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment, and discrimination. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks.”
This is the re-advertisement of the vacancy announcement. If you have already applied for this post, you don’t need to re-apply.
Advertised: Jan 11 2021 FLE Standard Time Application close: Jan 17 2021 FLE Standard Time
HOW TO APPLY
- To apply please follow this link https://vacanciesinukraine.com/faojobs
- To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate (on the application form – by choosing the ‘other’ and filling the blank and in your motivation letter how (vacanciesinukraine.com) you heard about this position.