The International Commission on Missing Persons (ICMP) is an international organization that endeavours to secure the cooperation of governments and others to account for missing persons from conflict, human rights abuses, disasters, organized crime, migration and other causes. ICMP is headquartered in The Hague, The Netherlands.
ICMP will work on a project to provide assistance to Ukraine’s Commission on Missing Persons and relevant authorities to investigate missing persons cases in accordance with international norms and standards. The project focuses on the following:
- Strengthening the capacity of the Commission on Missing Persons to investigate missing persons cases in line with international standards and ability to implement a large-scale, missing persons program
- Enabling Ukraine to launch a central record on all missing persons, and
- Providing operational support to enable Ukrainian authorities to collect data directly from families of the missing.
The beneficiaries of the project include families of the missing, civil society, national stakeholders.
Reporting to the ICMP Director General, the Senior Program Coordinator’s main duties will include the following:
- Contribute to the identification of the key issues underpinning the resolution of the missing persons cases in the Ukraine
- Develop and maintain an overview of the work being done in Ukraine by various stakeholders to resolve the missing persons issue
- Coordinate the implementation of the program and further develop ICMP’s operations in the Ukraine in line with agreed strategies and organizational priorities
- Stay attuned to initiatives and work undertaken by others on the missing persons issue
- Routinely provide insight and briefings to ICMP directors when appropriate and as requested in order for ICMP HQ to take strategic decisions
- Ensure effective support for working groups, committees or other cooperative mechanisms that contribute to the work of ICMP
- Facilitate, as appropriate, the participation of national government representatives, other international organizations, as well as civil society, technical experts or other partners and stakeholders
- Provide weekly written reports that ensure quality, relevance and analysis of activities and events
- Under the direction of the HQ Communications Unit, manage an outreach and media strategy and work to develop a relationship with all sectors of the media
- Working in close coordination with HQ subject matter experts, manage the program staff based in the Ukraine by keeping the staff motivated, solving any problems that arise, providing guidance and deadlines on the tasks to be performed
- Under the direction of the Director, Corporate Services, establish security measures and coordinate security provisions with security providers (as required)
- Under the direction of the Director, Corporate Services, support the budget development and monitor the program’s budget and maximize cost-effectiveness
- Approve the purchase of necessary supplies and equipment within budget limits
- Represent ICMP at the local and international levels
- Build cooperative relationships internally and externally
- Assist the Program Coordination and Impact Unit on preparing funding applications and grant proposals
- Other related duties as assigned.
- Advanced university degree, or equivalent in political science, sociology, law, or another relevant discipline
- At least ten years of relevant work experience in an international organization, government institution or relevant international non-governmental organization
- A good understanding of human rights and public administration law, including international institutional law
- Facility to deal with projects involving substantial scientific/technical components, conducted by ICMP subject matter experts
- Strong sense of political judgment and cultural sensitivity
- Excellent English and Ukrainian proficiency
- Demonstrated resilience to hardship
- Ability to build effective relationships with government representatives and technical experts at the national and international levels
- Ability to communicate adequately with high-level government officials, including the diplomatic community
- Ability to identify and analyze problems and suggest corrective action to the supervisor
- Computer literate with practical experience in Microsoft applications, database and spreadsheet software
- Knowledge of security risk management and risk management concepts
- Proven ability to interact positively with colleagues regardless of culture, nationality or gender
- Willingness to travel and to work flexible hours including weekends and evenings, when necessary
- Commitment to the underlying objective of assisting the authorities and families of the missing in locating and identifying missing persons in an impartial and transparent manner
- Positive attitude, humility and the ability to work within multidisciplinary team
IMPORTANT TO NOTE:
This is a fixed term position for an initial 11 months with possibility of extension subject to funding.
Only applications submitted in English will be considered.
In addition to an attractive base salary, this position is eligible for up to 8 weeks of paid time-off each year and generous social security insurance scheme.
Start date: 1 December 2021 (subject to funding confirmation)
This position is not eligible for relocation or expatriate allowances. For more details, please see the ICMP website.
Review of applications will begin on 1 October 2021.
ICMP is committed to maintaining an environment of mutual respect, where equal employment opportunities are available to all applicants. ICMP believes that diversity and inclusion among our staff are critical to our success as a global organization, and we seek to recruit, develop and retain the most talented individuals from a thoroughly diverse range of candidates. ICMP is proud to be part of the International Gender Champions network.
HOW TO APPLY
- To apply please follow this link https://vacanciesinukraine.com/jobs
- To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your cover letter how (vacanciesinukraine.com) you heard about this position.