TERMS OF REFERENCE
|Title of Position:
Duration of appointment:
Estimate start date:
Migration and Border Management (MBM), IOM Ukraine Consultant
until 30 May 2021
as soon as possible
Nature of consultancy:
The ultimate objective of the EU-funded IOM-implemented project “Support for Migration and Asylum Management in Ukraine” (IMMIS), within which the Consultant will operate, is to contribute to enhancing migration management in Ukraine through the development of institutional and technical capacities of the migration management bodies, particularly the State Migration Service of Ukraine (SMS), including through the deployment of an IT solution to ensure effective automated data exchange between SMS and other state institutions.
Under the overall supervision of the IOM Chief of Mission, overall coordination and oversight of the Project Manager and direct supervision of the ICT Lead Expert, the Consultant will implement the IMMIS project tasks related to the provision of support to SMS in modernization of the developed software of the National System for Biometric Verification and Identification (NSBVI) aimed at general improvement of the system functioning and user experience.
The software (SW) and hardware platforms for NSBVI have been modernized under IMMIS project, and as a part of the system modernization SMS obtained technical possibility to process biometric data, exchange data with other relevant state authorities, and ensure stable work of the system on a modern hardware platform. SMS officially requested IOM support in further enhancement of the system by addressing new technical needs. The IT Expert will have to perform this task.
The IT Expert will work in close cooperation and coordination with the Technical Focal Points for IT Infrastructure, Business Process Analysis (BPA) and the IMMIS Software Architect.
The main objective of the assignment of the Software Developer is modernization of the existing application program interfaces to the program modules of NSBVI meant for automation of procedures for biometric data exchange between SMS and other state institutions.
The tasks to be performed by the Software Developer:
- Development of a server element and a client element of the modernized SW in accordance with the requirements to modernization of the SW and additional functions (see Specific Terms of Reference below) based on .net framework;
- Development of updated API specification for the modernized SW;
- Provision of technical support during creation of the testing and working environments, and during pilot operation to perform necessary work on deployment of the SW, eliminate identified malfunctions and perform refinement of the SW based on test results.
Tangible and measurable outputs of the assignment:
|#1: Development of updated API specification||Paper and electronic versions of the document containing API specification for the modernized SW||2nd week after the Contract is signed|
|#2: Development of functionality of the modernized SW, pilot operation of the SW at SMS||· Demonstration of the SW being fully functional
· Report on the results of operation of the SW
|5th week after the Contract is signed|
Requirements to the System:
As the result of the works performed within this assignment, a modernized version of the NSBVI software shall be developed.
The IT Expert shall perform a detailed analysis of functional and non-functional requirements, define the software architecture of the solution, define the requirements for user interfaces of the subsystem, modernize the SW in accordance with the Terms of Reference, provide source codes and compiled modules, database models and other data and documents required for deployment of the subsystem in the SMS infrastructure, ensure compliance with the requirements for information protection of the subsystem, provide consultation during the deployment of the solution while the system is launched into operation.
Requirements to modernization of the SW and additional functions (Specific Terms of Reference):
Modernization of the SW is aimed to provide for delimitation of access to the results of biometric identification and verification of persons based on the category of a person (e.g., citizen of Ukraine, foreigner, etc.). When executing a request for biometric identification, it is necessary to verify if the user who performs the identification has access rights to the relevant categories of persons found during the identification process. The user should receive only results relevant to persons under the category he has access rights to.
The user access rights configuration feature must specify a list of allowed categories of persons to identify for each gallery that the user has access to. Changes in access parameters to categories of persons should be recorded in the event log.
Other requirements to the software:
The SW shall be developed in the form of a web-application that functions in the departmental intranet and meet information protection requirements for systems that process confidential information. The software should be based on freely distributable software (libraries, etc.), which does not require the purchase of licenses for non-commercial use.
User web interfaces of the system and system documentation must be in Ukrainian. Documentation for freely distributable software can be developed in English.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
- University degree (Specialist or higher) in the field of Information Technology or any other relevant degree
- A clear understanding of the principles and features of software development methodologies
- Understanding of OOP concepts and design patterns
- Strong knowledge of .net framework 4.7, asp.net mvc 6.0, entity framework 6.0
- Good SQL and database knowledge (Ms sql server 2017)
- Knowledge in organization of the win service
- Experience in working with docker containers
- Understanding the processes and technologies for working with biometric data will be an advantage
- Experience in building and improving infrastructure automation
- Experience in monitoring, diagnostics, and fixing production issues
- Experience in support of large-scale data
- Experience in writing and using APIs
- Experience in using version control systems such as Git
- Fluency in Ukrainian is required
- Fluent English will be an advantage
- Ability to communicate effectively with teammates
- Learning capability and flexible mind
- Ability to plan work and meet deadlines
- Quick problem-solving
How to apply:
- Interested candidates are invited to submit their CV (containing names and contact information of three referees) and cover letter to:
IOM Kyiv: [email protected]
8 Mykhailivska St., Kyiv, 01001
- Please, indicate the position you are applying for in the subject line of your message.
- Please indicate in your email & cover letter where you saw this job posting.
Closing date for applications is 8 April 2021; however, interested candidates are strongly encouraged to apply sooner.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.