Deutsche Gesellschaft fur Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) in Ukraine is seeking a qualified professional for U-LEAD with Europe | Ukraine – Local Empowerment, Accountability and Development Programme to fill the position of
Strategic Management Adviser (full time, maternity leave position), Kyiv
U-LEAD with Europe: Local Empowerment, Accountability and Development Programme is a multi-donor action of the EU and its member states Germany, Poland, Sweden, Denmark, Estonia and Slovenia to support Ukraine on its path to strengthening local self-government. U-LEAD promotes transparent, accountable and responsive multi-level governance in Ukraine and empowers municipalities.
Thanks to administrative-territorial reform and decentralisation of powers, local self-government in Ukraine is experiencing a remarkable transformation. For many years, small and often rural hromadas had few duties. Decentralisation is not just a matter of increasing the municipality authority’s powers and resources, it has also added more layers of complexity to its operations. This is why traditional approaches to management are no longer enough. Success depends to a large degree on Heads of hromadas’ readiness to become fully-fledged strategic managers, as well as the elected representatives of the people. Given the important new tasks, responsibilities and financial resources that local self-governments have gained, the implementation of the reform has to be accompanied by expert advice, trainings and diverse support measures.
For support of the U-LEAD with Europe team in the implementation of the Programme, we are looking for a highly motivated Strategic Management Adviser with strong expertise in strategic management and leadership, decentralisation and regional policy reform process in Ukraine and experience in capacity development measures implementation.
Areas of responsibility
- Providing quality assurance of capacity development support to Local Self-Government bodies in the area of strategic management;
- Providing expertise and advice in the same area to support the achievement of Programme goals;
- Managing a pool of experts, who implement capacity development activities in strategic management;
- Establishing and maintaining a network of cooperation with stakeholders from the government, development partners and civil society and others who support strategic management at the local level;
- Maintaining a good flow of communication and information with superior and team members as well as with external partners;
- Ensuring the application of GIZ standards and rules in all operational procedures.
- Further develop the Programme’s capacity building measures on Strategic Management, provide inputs to training materials and contribute to the programme-wide standardisation and streamlining of Thematic Support Packages (TSPs);
- Provide inputs to training materials provided by other U-LEAD with Europe units upon request;
- Analyse cross-cutting themes (e.g. gender, ethics and anti-corruption, leave no one behind) from the point of view of strategic management in order to optimise the TSPs;
- Contribute to the preparation and implementation of events, incl. round tables, discussion forums and workshops on decentralisation issues;
- Draft reports, briefings, presentations, summaries of reports and legal provisions in English and Ukrainian;
- Provide input to programme related monitoring and communication activities (reports, publications, U-DATA etc.);
- Ensure internal programme coordination and cooperation especially with the Regional Operations Unit and the Regional Offices;
- Cooperate with national and international development partner institutions strengthening capacities on different levels;
- Communicate the Programme’s interests and efforts and share ideas and information for the benefit of the Programme.
- Ensure the compilation and documentation of relevant information according to the Programme’s visibility and reporting requirements and ensure knowledge transfer.
Requirements to the candidates
- Master’s degree and at least 3 years work experience in an area relevant for the position (public administration, management, economics, education, social sciences etc.).
- Work experience with, or knowledge of, public administration in Ukraine at national, oblast and local level and/or knowledge of civil society organisations and/or international organisations;
- Knowledge of the government’s reform agenda in the field of decentralisation;
- Knowledge of local self-government standards, regulations, needs and problems;
- Knowledge of European Charter of Local Self-Government standards and their implementation in Ukraine;
- Work experience in the field of decentralisation is an advantage;
- Experience in designing and delivering trainings on local self-government issues is an advantage.
Other knowledge, additional competences
- Strong organisational and planning competences;
- Knowledge of capacity development approaches and the design of trainings, including e-learning;
- Experience in international cooperation is an advantage;
- Excellent communication, presentation and organizational skills;
- Excellent written and spoken Ukrainian, very good command of the English language;
- Very good working knowledge of computer applications (e.g. MS Office);
- Readiness for occasional business trips within Ukraine;
- Diligence and responsible work ethic;
- Team player with strong communication skills;
- Availability to take on responsibility and a corresponding sense for responsibility;
- Ability to work under stressful conditions and tight deadlines, flexible and able to work with people of different professional and cultural backgrounds, result-oriented, well organised and motivated.
This is the maternity leave position. Full-time position with 40-hours working week. Place of assignment Kyiv. Some travel within Ukraine is possible. Starting in February 2021. Contract duration is until the end of May 2022.
GIZ is an equal opportunity employer and offers an attractive and challenging working environment with opportunities for skill enhancement.
- Application comprising of the candidate’s CV and a cover letter in the English language explaining the motivation to apply for the job is to be sent to [email protected] until COB on Friday, 15 January 2021.
- To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your email & cover letter where (vacanciesinukraine.com) you saw this job posting.
By sending the application the candidate gives the consent for the personal data processing for recruitment processes solely.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for the next stages of the recruitment process.