Position Title: Strategic Operations Advisor/Deputy Chief of Party
Reports to: Chief of Party
EnCompass LLC is seeking a Strategic Operations Advisor/Deputy Chief of Party. This position will serve on the leadership team of the United States Agency for International Development (USAID) Ukraine Monitoring and Learning Support (UMLS) Contract and will support the contract through establishing and guiding the implementation of the program’s strategic vision. The focus of this role will be on advancing global best practices in evidence-based management as an integrative mechanism between Performance Management; Collaboration, Learning, and Adapting (CLA) practices; and Development Outreach and Communications (DOC). The individual in this position will play a vital role in helping ensure that UMLS engages its client through innovative means as it meets its objectives in holistic support for monitoring and learning and strategic use of the Country Development and Cooperation Strategy (CDCS) in an integrated and results-focused manner. The role will support the Chief of Party (COP) in ensuring tasks are organized, resourced, and implemented effectively.
This position is a full-time employee position. The position is currently a remote/virtual position due to the COVID-19 pandemic. In time, the position will evolve to in-person collaboration based in Kyiv (with flexible work options).
Position Duties and Responsibilities
- Be the UMLS primary steward for the strategic use of evidence in order to build a culture of Evidence-Based decision making among Mission teams and individuals
- Serve on the UMLS leadership team to ensure strategic and robust integration of diverse evidence usage across all parts of the activity
- Serve on the UMLS leadership team to ensure adequate and appropriate resources, scopes, and timelines for Mission requests
- Manage day to day operations of the contract, in close collaboration with the COP and the Operations Manager
- Collaborate across UMLS’ CLA; Performance Monitoring and Learning (PML); and Development Outreach Communication (DOC) teams, and with HQ technical specialists, to help build focus and capacity on using innovative ways to engage the client around evidence (including scenario surveillance, media monitoring data, surveys, special studies and analyses)
- Support UMLS cross-team Development Objective dyads focused on building trusted advisor relationships with USAID that will activate the project’s Adaptive Work
- Strengthen linkages with internal and external resources to enhance organizational learning and knowledge in evidence-based decision making
- Work with Mission, as required, to understand technical needs for tasks, and work with UMLS teams to craft SOWs that can be implemented by identified resources. Provide technical input into the design of tasks to ensure they are within contract scope and respond to client needs.
- Oversee and manage sub-contractor, EnCompass, and external short-term technical assistance (STTA) (local or international) technical specialists as required to ensure strong fulfillment of Scopes of Work (SOWs). Manage additional fulltime staff as assigned.
- Conduct quality assurance reviews on deliverables, products, or task results as required; Products are expected to be well-written, accurate, and to meet pre-determined expectations in SOWs
- Represent the contract, as needed, before a range of audiences and in a variety of platforms, including with the Government of Ukraine (GOU)
- Serve as GOU liaison around Results Based Management needs
- Plan and deliver capacity development trainings for the internal UMLS team related to the topics/areas covered in this role (see above)
- Engage fully as a member of the EnCompass staff team, including participating in all-staff meetings, as appropriate
- A Master’s degree in international development, social sciences, or a related field
Experience and Skills
- Minimum 10 years of demonstrated experience supporting complex donor-funded activities in a team environment, ideally for USAID
- Understanding of evidence-based management approaches, with proven experience identifying and using diverse evidence sources to encourage robust decision making
- Proficiency in qualitative and quantitative research methods, and familiarity with innovative MEL approaches preferred
- Experience designing studies and assessments, with strong capacity to identify needs, both explicit and implicit, and using them to create actionable SOWs for implementation
- Demonstrated experience managing learning and adaptive management approaches with USAID or other organizations
- Proven USAID and external stakeholder relations, team management, and operations
- Understanding of USAID regulations and policies, including but not limited to the Automated Directives System 201, Evaluation Policy, and the Journey to Self-Reliance
- Ability to work in an appreciative, strengths-based environment and guide others in using an appreciative approach
- Exceptional written and oral communication skills
- Fluency in spoken and written English and Ukrainian required
- Ukrainian nationality preferred
- To apply please follow this link https://vacanciesinukraine.com/jobs
- To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your cover letter how (vacanciesinukraine.com) you have heard about this position.