Chemonics International Inc. is looking for a qualified professional to fill the position
Strategic Planning Consultant.
The United States Agency for International Development in Ukraine (USAID/Ukraine) has awarded Chemonics International a contract (“Ukraine Democratic Governance East Activity” or “DG East”) to support USAID/Ukraine’s objectives of promoting inclusive civic identity, common civic values, and a unified Ukraine by addressing the divisive impacts of Russia’s aggression, cases of far-right Ukrainian nationalism, and the consequences of ongoing armed conflict through increased citizen participation, improved service delivery and more responsive governance. DG East purpose is to strengthen the connection and trust between citizens and their government in Eastern Ukraine and to (1) develop greater acceptance of a shared civic culture based on common values and understandings, and (2) increase participation to improve Ukraine’s governance and reform processes and help to resolve community problems. Activities across the two objectives are implemented across five project offices: Kyiv, Kramatorsk, Severodonetsk, Mariupol, and Kherson.
Through this activity DG East will support the Lysychansk Civil-Military Administration (CMA) and the Lysychansk City Council to conduct a needs assessment and develop an action plan for the preparation and adoption of the Development Strategy for Lysychansk amalgamated territorial community. The development of the strategy is a top priority for the Head of the Lysychansk CMA, as it will guide and drive the future development of the community.
Title: Strategic Planning Consultant
Length of Assignment: Short-term
Estimated LOE: 68 LOE
Assignment Location: Lysychansk (Luhansk Oblast).
Dates: o/a June 10, 2021 through September 30, 2021
• Participate in a start-up coordination meeting with DG East Governance Lead;
• Conduct Needs Assessment to identify CMA practices and gaps in the participatory strategic planning process. Needs Assessment will apply tools such as:
o Desk review (Budget, Economic and Socio Program, and other Programs). Prepare analytical report on the main indicators of the socio-economic development of the community over the past three years;
o Conduct research of the opinions of the population (Google survey) and in-depth interviews of the stakeholders regarding the vision of the further development of the community, and determining the main strategic directions (Online/or off-line survey to be conducted in Lysychansk and neighboring villages;
o Conduct a series of focus groups for 50 representatives of the new amalgamated community, including heads of departments, representatives of 7 affiliated villages, the civic society, and local business;
o Face to Face interviews with the Head of CMA, with relevant stakeholders (Head of Public Council, etc.) and analyze the face to face interview results;
• Determine/schedule site visits in some of the locations to conduct face-to-face interviews who based on the survey demonstrate having some kind of practice related to participatory strategic planning;
• Summary report of analysis of online survey results and results of face to face interviews;
• Conduct interviews in each neighboring agrarian villages (village councils) and Lysychansk with the relevant stakeholders identified for visit including civic-military administration staff that works routinely with the public, the Chairmen of CSO, member groups within the public councils and (if applicable), party in opposition to the administration;
• Prepare Needs Assessment Report;
• Prepare a summary PowerPoint presentation and conduct a debriefing with DG East and USAID;
• Review of methodologies for strategic planning process for amalgamated communities in Ukraine and preparation of methodological recommendations for the Lysychansk military-civil administration for the creation of the new Strategy;
• Develop/finalize strategic planning guideline;
• Ensure collection and analysis of the data and relevant studies on strategic planning, taking into account decentralization trends and human rights-based approach. Ensure availability of up-to-date information on all critical issues on strategic planning related to Democratic Governance; initiate and design analytical and technical documents (develop forms of the required documents, documents’ forms) including baseline assessments and methodological recommendations.
• Prepare a comprehensive final report in Ukrainian and English, capturing the assessment and action plan/timeline/directions/stakeholders to prepare and adopt the Development Strategy for Lysychansk amalgamated territorial community. The final report should include the suggested strategic planning methodology, recommendations, and lessons learned.
• Degree in Public Business Administration, Economics, International Relations of other relevant field;
• At least 8 years of relevant progressively responsible experience in analysis, advisory support and research in the field of strategic planning and drafting development strategies/programs for economic development at oblast and local level in Ukraine or similar country context;
• Experience of working with relevant stakeholders from the governmental and non-governmental institutions involved into strategic planning of economic development and other governance issues at the local and regional levels would be an asset;
• Demonstrated experience convening key stakeholders to arrive at a consensus around economic data analysis and turning it into strategic plans;
• Understanding of the regional context preferably earlier experience working in Ukraine or in Donbas region;
• Understanding of the political context in the East Ukraine;
• Capacity to prepare professional presentations, information materials, serve as a speaker/lecturer/trainer;
• Fluency in English, Ukrainian and Russian;
• Experience of working in international organizations/projects will be considered as an advantage;
• Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc).;
• PE registration is highly desirable.
- Interested and qualified candidates should send their CV to [email protected] with the subject line: “SPC” by 18:00 on Friday, May 14, 2021. No telephone inquiries, please. Only selected candidates will be contacted and shortlisted for an interview.
- To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your email where (vacanciesinukraine.com) you saw this job posting.
“Chemonics is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in its selection and employment practices on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, or other non-merit factors.”