RST Position Announcement
POSITION: Project Manager Road Safety & Standards (Category 2) –
Road Transport Safety Reform
- Objective(s) and linkages to Reforms
A Reform Support Team (RST) at the State Road Agency (Ukravtodor) is a group of Ukrainian professionals (non-civil servants) funded on a temporary basis by the donors that provides targeted technical support and assists the Agency in the design and implementation of priority reforms. The RST will assist in filling the capacity gaps in the design and implementation of priority reform strategies and programs, while strengthening links and partnerships between the Agency’s priorities and relevant donor support.
The funding source of this assignment is the EBRD Ukraine Stabilisation and Sustainable Growth Multi-Donor Account (MDA). Contributors to the Ukraine MDA are Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, the Netherlands, Poland, Sweden, Switzerland, the United Kingdom, the United States and the European Union, the largest donor.
Improvement of roads safety reform is part of Reform Actions of Government Action Plan. Agency has made this reform one of its top priorities and is committed to building a healthy and transparent system that will aim to make Ukraine’s roads safer and more efficient. The reform aims for two main objectives:
- development of National Program for Roads Safety.
- amendment of existing state standards (drafting new guidelines for principles of traffic organization, requirements for signage, pedestrian crossings etc).
Project Manager Road Safety & Standards is vitally needed to support the Government of Ukraine and in particular Ukravtodor in the fulfilment of the improvement of roads management system reform.
A highly qualified professional is needed in order to facilitate, supervise and support the reforms related to improvement of roads management system reform.
- Duration and proposed timeframe:
Duration of the assignment is until 31 March 2020 with potential extension subject to the availability of funding, the performance of the selected consultant and the specific needs of the RST. The Consultant shall deliver services in Ukraine and for no less than working 20 days per calendar month.
- Main Duties and Responsibilities:
- engagement of relevant stakeholders (experts, government officials, donors, etc.) to the RST’s activities
- project management support (development of project/reform implementation plan, risk management, change management, etc.)
- manage preparation of changes to laws and secondary legislation
- manage analytical support to the reform
- data and information search, integration and analysis
- drafting of evidence-based policy and legal reform proposals
- organizational and logistical support to the RST (events, round tables, conferences and forums to engage stakeholders on key reform themes and policy proposals)
- preparation of timely and quality reports and status updates on implementation progress
- preparation of slides for presentations, infographics
Main anticipated deliverables:
- Drafting and proposing amendment to the national standards and regulations on EU norms and regulations on roads safety (new guidelines for principles of traffic organization, requirements for signage, pedestrian crossings etc.)
- Support to draft laws and sub-laws developed by the Ministry of Infrastructure and EIBfunded project “Modernization and Safety Improvements of the Road Network in Ukraine Technical Assistance”;
- Cooperation with civil society, building public dialogue on required changes and reforms
- Establishing reliable monitoring process of road safety, thanks in particular to the setting up of a regional EaP Road Safety Observatory
- Facilitating introduction of Road Infrastructure Safety Management procedures according to Directive 2008/96/EC
- Application of Road Safety Audit procedures to road construction and rehabilitation projects on international roads of Ukraine
- Support of drafting and adoption sub-law on improving the mechanism of weight control according to the Action Plan of Government;
- Maintenance of launching pilot project of Weight-in-Motion (WiM) systems in cooperation with MoI;
- Preliminary evaluation of new weight control regulations; preparation of proposals for regulation amendments.
- Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- Qualifications and skills:
- Master degree in finance, economics, or business administration
- Strong analytical, communication and presentation skills
- PC literacy (advanced PowerPoint, Project, Excel, Word skills; Visio is an asset) – Fluency in Ukrainian and English
- General professional experience:
- Preferably more than 5 years of general professional experience (minimum 3 years)
- 3 years of experience in research and analysis, roads construction and maintenance, roads safety
- Specific professional experience:
- Proven knowledge and professional experience in data collection and analysis
- Minimum 2 years of experience in road safety
- Experience with the reform implementation and transport regulation in Ukraine
- Experience with public sector regulations, government entities and their mandate and processes is an asset
- Qualifications and skills:
- Assignment Value
The estimated monthly value of this consultancy position is in the region of EUR 800 to EUR 1400. The funding source of this assignment is the EBRD-Ukraine Stabilization and Sustainable Growth Multi-Donor Account. Please note selection and contracting will be subject to the availability of funding.
- Submissions must be prepared in English only and be delivered electronically by February 28, 2020 to the following address: [email protected]
- All submissions must include a completed Application Form ( at the bottom of the page), the candidate’s Curriculum Vitae and Reference Letter from a recent supervisor (original in English, or Ukrainian with English translation) together with the contact details for two further referees who, if contacted, can attest to the professional and/or educational background of the candidate.
- To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your e-mail where (vacanciesinukraine.com) you saw this job posting.
Only applications which have been submitted using the correct template and are completed will be considered.
- Selection Procedure
Following the evaluation of all applications received, selected candidates will be invited to a brief written test in State Road Agency of Ukraine, covering both general and technical questions in both English and Ukrainian. Only short-listed candidates will be invited to an interview.