About the job
Danish Refugee Council (DRC)is an international non-governmental organization, which promotes and supports durable solutions to the problems faced by refugees and internally displaced people all over the world. In Ukraine DRC operates since 2007. From 2015 on, DRC has successfully implemented livelihoods programmes aimed to provide IDPs and conflict-affected populations with income-earning opportunities, thus strengthening their resilience and reducing their dependence on traditional humanitarian aid. Livelihoods Assistant reports to Team Leader – Livelihoods.
Overall purpose of the role
- Under supervision of Livelihoods Assistance Programme for Eastern Ukraine (LAP) Team Leader, support the agriculture-related LAP activities in Luhansk and Donetsk Oblasts.
- Provides administrative or technical support within sector area
- Assist the sector officer in ensuring quality of the planning, implementation and follow up of sector activities
Sector responsibilities: Agriculture, community development, SME development, business grants, vocational training, capacity building of local stakeholders, advocacy, etc.
Geographic scope: Area (Slovyansk)
This role has an area focus and ensures compliance to DRC procedures and guidelines within the area. The role contributes to the development of area strategies, which are translated into action plans and day-to-day tasks. The role provides support and/or technical guidance to area operations.
- Identify agricultural value chains in the LAP targeted areas
- Conduct in-depth assessments of the value chains identified, compose detailed reports on the assessments’ findings
- Actively participate in the design of agriculture-related programme interventions
- Participate in selection of programme beneficiaries for agriculture-related assistance
- Support information dissemination and outreach activities to ensure active participation of the beneficiaries in the programme
- Undertake monitoring of the funded agricultural initiatives, provide ongoing support to the programme beneficiaries
- Prepare Grant Agreements between DRC and livelihoods programme beneficiaries; organize process of signing of the Grant Agreements, to ensure they are properly signed and stamped; prepare payment documents under the signed Grant Agreements for the following procedure by DRC AFO; organize the Grant Agreements’ and supporting documents’ storage and filing systems; communicate with programme beneficiaries on the supporting documentation related issues
- Back-up other LAP Assistants when necessary
- Cooperate with UN agencies, INGO’s and national NGO’s as needed
- Liaise with local authorities as necessary
- Maintain good working relations within DRC and other organizations in the area of responsibility;
- Understand, and ensure the observance of the DRC Code of Conduct;
- Perform other tasks as requested by DRC management.
Administrative and technical support
- Carry out basic tasks within sector area (e.g. data collection)
- Carry out administrative tasks
- Follow given work plans and guidelines
To be successful in this role we expect you to have experience in grant making programmes in the field of technical assistance; passion for helping people and communities to improve their lives, impeccable integrity and honesty and great people skills. All employees should master DRC’s core competencies: Communicating, Taking the lead, Collaborating, Striving for excellence and Demonstrating integrity.
Required experience and competencies
- Minimum 3 years of relevant work experience, presumably agriculture-related
- Experience in administrative tasks
- Excellent IT skills: confident PC user, MS Office pack
- Experience with following standard procedures and guidelines
- Advanced English proficiency would be considered an advantage
- Fluency in local language: Ukrainian, Russian (equally important)
- Good knowledge of document management standards and regulations
- Attention to details, orderliness
- Good inter-personal and communication skills
- Ability to organize prioritization and planning
- Capacity to manage stress and flexibility for long working hours
All DRC roles require the post-holder to master DRC’s core competencies:
• Striving for excellence: Focusing on reaching results while ensuring efficient processes.
• Collaborating: Involving relevant parties and encouraging feedback.
• Taking the lead: Taking ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
• Communicating: Listening and speaking effectively and honestly.
• Demonstrating integrity: Upholding and promoting the highest standards of ethical and professional conduct in relation to DRC’s values and Code of Conduct, including safeguarding against sexual exploitation, abuse and harassment.
Diploma or equivalent professional qualification in Agriculture or related areas
Contract length: 1 year with the possibility to extend
Start date: September 2019
The application is open for Ukraine citizens only. Salary and conditions will be in accordance with Danish Refugee Council’s Terms of Employment for National Staff; please refer to drc.ngo under Vacancies.
- To apply please follow this link https://vacanciesinukraine.com/ngojobs
- To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your cover letter where (vacanciesinukraine.com) you saw this job posting.
All applicants must send a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages) in English. Applications sent by email will not be considered.
ATTENTION: Though external and internal candidates are equally encouraged to apply for this position, in case of equal level of qualifications and interview performance the preference will be given to an internal candidate.
If you have questions or are facing problems with the online application process, please contact [email protected]
For further information about the Danish Refugee Council, please consult our website drc.ngo.
DRC as an employer
By working in DRC, you will be joining a global workforce of around 8000 employees in 40 countries. We pride ourselves on our:
- Professionalism, impact & expertise
- Humanitarian approach & the work we do
- Purpose, meaningfulness & own contribution
- Culture, values & strong leadership
- Fair compensation & continuous development
DRC’s capacity to ensure the protection of and assistance to refugees, IDP’s and other persons of concern depends on the ability of our staff to uphold and promote the highest standards of ethical and professional conduct in relation DRC’s values and Code of Conduct, including safeguarding against sexual exploitation, abuse and harassment. DRC conducts thorough and comprehensive background checks as part of the recruitment process. Visit drc.ngo to read more about what we do to secure robust safeguarding mechanisms.
If you have questions or are facing problems with the online application process, please visit drc.ngo/jobsupport.