BACKGROUND INFORMATION – UNOPS
UNOPS is an operational arm of the United Nations, supporting the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to help people build better lives and countries achieve sustainable development.
UNOPS areas of expertise cover infrastructure, procurement, project management, financial management and human resources.
Working with us
UNOPS offers short- and long-term work opportunities in diverse and challenging environments across the globe. We are looking for creative, results-focused professionals with skills in a range of disciplines.
With over 4,000 UNOPS personnel and approximately 7,000 personnel recruited on behalf of UNOPS partners spread across 80 countries, our workforce represents a wide range of nationalities and cultures. We promote a balanced, diverse workforce — a strength that helps us better understand and address our partners’ needs, and continually strive to improve our gender balance through initiatives and policies that encourage recruitment of qualified female candidates.
Work life harmonization
UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands.
BACKGROUND INFORMATION – JOB-SPECIFIC
|Background Information – Ukraine
The Project Office is responsible for managing strategic and operational risks associated with the Project Office’s portfolio of engagements – as part of the Multi Country Office set up, developing and delivering cost effective services contributing to partners’ sustainable results and achievements of UNOPS management results.
In response to the request of the Government of Ukraine (GoU), UNOPS opened an office in Ukraine in 2017. The office currently has a portfolio of projects in the areas of the rule of law, crisis recovery, good governance, human resources management, procurement, and logistics.
On September 30, 2019, the Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine approved the Government’s Action Plan that defines goals and priorities for the next five years. Human capital and economic development, European integration, safety and quality of life of Ukraine’s citizens are the main priorities announced by the Government. UNOPS is looking to support the GoU in achieving the goals and targets stated in the Government’s Action Plan and ultimately contribute to the achievement of the Sustainable Development Goals by the country.
The Project Office operates as an integral part of the Multi Country Office management structure. The Country Manager reports to the Multi Country Office Director who provides direction and guidance. The Country Manager role is responsible for planning, implementing, monitoring and supervising the delivery of all projects and support services in a given country- that includes liaison and engagement development activities and delivering timely and cost effective services for sustainable results by partners and stakeholders.
|Summary of key results:
- A Master’s degree preferably in Economics, International Development, Business Administration, Project Management, International Relations or other relevant field is required.
- Bachelor’s degree with an additional two years of relevant work experience will be accepted in lieu of a Master’s/advanced university degree.
- A minimum of 10 years of progressively responsible experience in international development, business development, operations and/or programme management in an international environment and/or corporate organization is required.
- Some experience in the UN system organizations and/or a developing country is desirable.
- Working experience and/or knowledge of Eastern Europe is considered as an advantage.
- Full working knowledge of English is essential.
- Knowledge of Russian language is an asset.
|Develops and implements sustainable business strategies, thinks long term and externally in order to positively shape the organization. Anticipates and perceives the impact and implications of future decisions and activities on other parts of the organization.(for levels IICA-2, IICA-3, LICA Specialist- 10, LICA Specialist-11, NOC, NOD, P3, P4 and above)|
|Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion.|
|Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. For people managers only: Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles.|
|Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).|
|Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.|
|Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.|
|Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.|
|Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.|
CONTRACT TYPE, LEVEL AND DURATION
Contract level: IICA 3 /ICS 12
Contract duration: Open-ended, subject to organizational requirements, availability of funds and satisfactory performance
For more details about the ICA contractual modality, please follow this link:
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- UNOPS seeks to reasonably accommodate candidates with special needs, upon request.
- Work life harmonization – UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands. We have a progressive policy on work-life harmonization and offer several flexible working options. This policy applies to UNOPS personnel on all contract types
- For staff positions only, UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post
- For retainer contracts, you must complete a few Mandatory Courses (around 4 hours) in your own time, before providing services to UNOPS.
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns. Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.
HOW TO APPLY
- To apply please follow this link https://vacanciesinukraine.com/jobs
- To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate (on the application form – by choosing the ‘other’ and filling the blank and in your cover / motivation letter how (vacanciesinukraine.com) you heard about this position.