Competitive Economy Program
Chemonics International, a global consulting and international development firm, seeks a Chief Accountant, full-time position, for the USAID-funded Competitive Economy Program (CEP). CEP is a five-year program to increase the competitiveness of startups and small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs) in Ukraine, as well as to increase the competitiveness of Ukrainian products in foreign markets, through a combined focus on improving Ukraine’s business enabling environment, increasing private sector competitiveness, increasing access to finance and investments, promoting exports, and facilitating trade.
The Chief Accountant will oversee all the CEP financial aspects. The Chief Accountant will work with the operations/administrative and technical teams to ensure that the financial systems are compatible with standard accounting practices and follow company and USAID policies, procedures, and regulations.
The Chief Accountant’s responsibilities will include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Execute overall accounting of CEP, ensuring strict adherence to Chemonics International policies and procedures and USAID rules and regulations;
- Prepare and/or review accurate, complete, and timely monthly financial reporting using (ABACUS) system, including monthly accrual/projection spreadsheets, review expenditures and ensure timely submission to the home office;
- Prepare and/or review ad hoc analysis and reporting as needed. Answer Home Office/Project Management Unit (PMU) questions regarding Locals;
- Build and lead a well-functioning accounting operation. Plan, organize, assign, review, and evaluate the work of the Accountant/Operations Associate and provide staff guidance and mentoring;
- Identify and take proactive action to meet all the Field Office (FO) accounting needs, including developing associated office procedures, to provide for smooth office operations;
- Intervene with local vendors, grantees, subcontractors and other Program-related officials or representatives on an as-needed basis;
- Update and modify templates for Program administration, procurements, payment, accounting forms according to the Program needs and Cooperative country context;
- Supervise, accounting cycle to include preparation and appropriate documentation of journal entries, payment requests, and general ledger reconciliations;
- Supervise inventory of property, including checks and reconciliation;
- Review and support with expense reports submitted by CEP Team;
- Process payroll twice a month, including review of calculation of personal income tax and fringe benefits;
- Support with preparing and / or reviewing the accounting and financial reports required by CEP, Chemonics and USAID, etc.
The required and/or preferred qualifications for the Chief Accountant’ position are:
- Degree in finance, accounting, business, economics or other relevant disciplines from a Ukrainian university required;
- Knowledge of and experience with International Accounting Standards preferred;
- Five years of experience in accounting and/or office management, international experience in a similar management and reporting position in terms of the job tasks and responsibilities outlined above;
- Language skills: good English speaking, reading, listening and writing skills. Fluency in Ukrainian and Russian;
- Computer Skills: advanced skills in using word processing and spreadsheet as well as electronic communications programs. Accounting software – QuickBooks, Abacus, MS Excel;
- Strong interpersonal skills (e.g., tact, diplomacy and patience) in the context of dealing with expatriate and local staff members, as well as with general business community and USAID representatives required;
- Previous USAID or other international donor experience, and operational experience with NGOs and grantees preferred;
- Self-motivation and guidance required. Demonstrated initiative and self-motivation in handling all assigned tasks required;
- Occasional travel maybe required;
- Ability to coordinate multiple tasks efficiently.
Please note the shortlisted candidates will be requested to take an accounting test after the successful interview.
- Please send a CV and brief letter of interest indicating related experience and achievements by October 01, 2021 to [email protected]. Please include your name and “Chief Accountant” in the subject line. Please note the position is open for Ukrainian citizens only. Post of assignment is Kyiv. Candidates will be reviewed and interviewed on a rolling basis until position is filled. No telephone inquiries, please. Finalists will be contacted.
- To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your email & letter of interest where (vacanciesinukraine.com) you saw this job posting.
Chemonics is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in its selection and employment practices on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, or other non-merit factors.